Thursday, May 12, 2005

Learning Swahili

When I first signed-up for my overseas adventure I expected that one of my greatest challenges would be learning a new language. As it’s turned out, a language barrier has been virtually a non-issue. Although there are several languages spoken in Kenya, the country’s official language is English. At TICH, all meetings and formal correspondence are in English and casual conversations are usually in Luo (the tribal language for the Lake Victoria region). Around Kisumu most people seem to be tri-lingual, speaking English, Luo and Swahili. Consequently, it’s quite easy for me to function here speaking only English.

While this has simplified my adjustment to Kenya, I still wanted to try to learn a bit of another language. After all, I have unprecedented spare time, a lack of other distractions (i.e. television, social life, and hobbies) and plenty of opportunities to learn and practice. Although I hear Luo spoken the most, I chose to concentrate on Swahili. I couldn’t find any Luo learning resources (I was told that anyone who wanted to learn the language already knows how) plus Swahili is spoken throughout Kenya, Tanzania and Uganda. Also, although a third language for most of the locals they are still happy to let me practice on them. Therefore, based on a few hours of introductory language lessons received in Nairobi in February and a language book I have started to learn Swahili.

Comedian Steve Martin once exclaimed in exasperation, “Those French, they have a different word for just about everything.” Well, the same is true for Swahili. In trying to learn I first had to overcome some dark flashbacks from three years of studying French in junior high (I’m sure that this would please Mrs Meehan and Miss Levesque). However, having developed a few additional study habits since then I figured that I shouldn’t let pass failures (or bare passes) limit me. Plus, now I have an open-air classroom in which to learn and practice.

I’m now about half way through my language book. While I’ve learned a great deal I still have a long ways to go. Its amazing what I can remember when I focus on things other than the trivial. After all, if I can remember that Joe Zanussi was part of the trade that sent Phil Esposito and Carol Vadnais to the Rangers for Jean Ratelle and Brad Park almost 30 years ago I should be able to utilize my memory for other purposes. However, I wouldn’t say for more useful purposes as you never know when recalling that deal may come in handy.

The people here really enjoy it when I attempt to speak Swahili. Even when I tell the boda boda drivers that “silipi bei mzungu” (I won’t pay the white person price) we both have a good laugh and I end-up paying somewhere in between the local and the mzungu prices. I seem to have a lot of words floating around in my head, but I’m still finding it difficult to put together sentences. Also, I’m finding that I’m forgetting some words that I had memorized a few weeks ago because I’m not using them. Finally, my comprehension of Swahili being spoken is virtually non-existent.

I may never learn Swahili but I’m determined to give it a good shot. I’ve recently hired a woman to tutor me twice a week. I wasn’t able to find a proper language teacher but Edith’s English and Swahili are both good (or so I’m told) and we’re using my language book to provide some structure to my lessons. I’ve also just purchased a radio so that I can hear the language spoken more regularly. So far I’ve been warming-up listening to BBC but I promise to cross over to the stations speaking Swahili. Walter at work told me that the best way to learn the language would be to get a girlfriend. My response was that I preferred a radio because a radio could be turned-off. Walter quite liked that rationale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home