Saturday, July 16, 2005

The End of an Error

I’ve been in Kenya for five months now and haven’t written much about my work here at TICH (The Tropical Institute of Community Health and Development in Africa). That’s because there hasn’t been a whole lot to report. Since my arrival I’ve had very little to do and even what work I’ve had has been sporadic in nature. While this has given me lots of free time, which has benefited my studies in Kiswahili and reduced my stress level to its lowest point in 15 years, this isn’t why I came to Africa.

I have discussed my under-utilization at various times over the past few months with both Dan, the Director of TICH, Reverend Bonifice, the head of Finance & Administration at TICH, and Chris from VSO. The major reasons for my lack of work have been the delay in TICH receiving university accreditation from the Ministry of Higher education and the reduced scope of the institution’s planned expansion when the accreditation is received. Finally, on July 14th, all three parties got together in the same room to review the situation. As their financial advisor my advice to TICH was that they did not require my financial advice; at least not on a full-time basis.

As has often been the case, TICH didn’t want to take my advice. I was a bit surprised by this because going into the meeting I had thought that we are all on the same page. While they acknowledged that the job I came to do was for the most part not there, they did feel that there were other things that I could help with. It was nice that they appreciated the contributions I have made and wanted me to stay, but I was hoping that they would make it easy for me by agreeing that I was no longer required.

My assessment of the situation was that there was no more than a part-time role for me. TICH was okay with this, but it wasn’t viable from VSO’s perspective due to difficulties in finding other part-time placements and working visa issues. The meeting ended with the situation fully discussed and various alternatives explored, but nothing decided. The ball was in my court; it was my decision to stay at TICH or resign.

I have really appreciated how nice the people at TICH have been and didn’t want to let them down. Also, although I’ve successfully battled the monster before, I still had to fight with that imbedded ethic of not quitting something that you’ve started. However, I’ve also learned that there comes a time when you have to cut your losses. In the end, my fate has probably been apparent since not long after I arrived here. I submitted my resignation and gave one month’s notice. My placement with TICH will end on August 15th.

Looking back at my initial decision to come to TICH rather than one of the other placements VSO offered, I would probably still make the same choice given the facts that were presented. I don’t fault VSO with the way things turned-out because I feel that they did the best they could with the information provided. While I am disappointed that TICH wasn’t totally transparent about their needs I can understand why they behaved this way. Like most organizations and individuals in Kenya they are desperate for any resource that they can get their hands on.

Although I’m feeling some disappointment and guilt, I’m also relieved that this has finally been resolved. I’m glad I had the opportunity to spend this time at TICH and it was an interesting experience. However, at the end of the day the job I came to do did not exist and there was no significant new role to take its place. One of the reasons why I came to Africa was to try to make a meaningful work contribution and I feel that this would not be achieved this at TICH. To have given them six months is acceptable, but not two years. It’s time to move on and with that I have no regrets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home