Saturday, September 10, 2005

Out of Africa

The clock is now counting down on my departure from Africa. The flights have been confirmed and what fun it shall be. My itinery is as follows (all in local time):

- Monday, Sept 19th - 10:40 p.m. departure from Nairobi - chance for one last dinner with some VSO friends;
- Tues, Sept 20th - 5:20 a.m. arrival in London after an 8 1/2 hour flight;
- Tues, Sept 20th - 13:50 p.m. departure from London - giving me 8 1/2 hours to enjoy Heathrow's Terminal 4;
- Tues, Sept 20th - 15:15 p.m. arrival in Vancouver after an 9 1/2 hour flight;
- Tues, Sept 20th - catch the Westcoast Express train to Mission - 1 1/2 hours;
- Wednesday, Sept 21st - rest and recover.

It is strange knowing that I have just over a week left in Africa. However, having been on the road since leaving Kisumu for over a month now, I'm tired of being in travel mode. In fact, I'm thinking a lot about things I need to do up0n my return to Canada plus possible scenarios for what I'll be doing with myself after that.

Until I leave Kenya my schedule will be pretty relaxed:

- Saturday, Sept 10th - hang-out in Mombasa. Have Chinese food for lunch. See how fast the electric fan in my room can go.
- Sunday-Wednesday, Sept 11-14 - hang-out at some alledged beach paradise called Tiwi Beach, south of Mombasa, and try not to get roasted in the sun.
- Thursday, Sept 15 - return to Mombasa and catch the night train to Nairobi. For about $50 Cdn I get to travel first class (only 1 room-mate in my sleeping compartment), provided with dinner and breakfast, and the likelihood of very little sleep.
- Friday-Monday, Sept 16-19 - hang-out in Nairobi. After 7 months of being bugged to buy souvenirs I will finally do so, although I don't expect to make anyone rich.

If something exciting happens during this time period I may be inspired to write and post it on this blog site. However, I expect that things won't get interesting until possibilities develop on the next chapter of my adventure. There is nothing to report right now, but I'm still betting that something will happen. Therefore, while there may not be a blog update for a while, I'm hopefully no where near reaching the conclusion of this mid-life crisis.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home