Tuesday, February 21, 2006

European Vacation

At first it was only just a possibility so I didn’t allow myself to get too excited. However, a month ago it was finally confirmed. In mid-March MSF Holland will be hosting their first ever Financial Controller’s workshop. This one-week gathering is to be held in the seaside town of Egmond, which is close to Amsterdam and is apparently the Dutch version of Parksville. I’ve never been so excited about going to a gathering with a bunch of financial types. I’m going to Europe!

To get the most out of my trip I’ve decided to combine a week of holidays. Therefore, on March 5th I will be arriving in Paris for a little rest and relaxation. I haven’t been there for close to twenty years so it will be a bit of a rediscovery. I’m not quite sure what I’ll do once there and to me this is half the fun. I may or may not spend my full week-off in Paris and will ultimately make my way to the Netherlands by March 12th.

I’m definitely ready for a bit of a break. I’ve noticed that despite having to take extra safety precautions due to the Danish cartoon backlash that it really hasn’t had much of an impact on my activities. However, my theory regarding my quiet lifestyle here is that it’s not only because I’m boring, but that there isn’t a whole lot to do in Islamabad. I read a telling quote in the International Herald Tribune recently where it was said that Islamabad is half the size of Arlington National Cemetery, but twice as dead. I’m pretty sure that the same can’t be said of Paris.

Hopefully, while I’m away I won’t miss any visits by important politicians and celebrities. George W is coming through in a couple weeks, although apparently not for a sleep-over. Other recent visitors have included Bill Clinton, George Sr., and Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, to name just a few. The King of Saudi Arabia was here a few weeks ago and on my way to the bank I unintentionally drove along his parade route, just minutes before his arrival. School children were waving flags and cheered words of welcome. I smiled and waved at them. A military band was ready to play and horses and camels were in full decoration. Apparently, sand had also been brought in so that in combination with the camels the King would feel more at home. I wouldn’t surprised if the King was wishing that he too could go to Europe.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tina said...

Europe!!! Woohoo Ian, that's great news. Lana and I were just reading your blog to see what you were up to and I saw the name Brad Pitt and from there I don't remember any more..... ha ha. I hope your holidays are good, I am going to backpack Australia for 5 weeks as of March 1 so I won't be able to keep up with your entries for awhile. My backpack is huge and that is even after I took half the stuff out. This last weekend in Canada spells prioritizing and downsizing for me, any suggestions?? Anyways, have fun in Europe, take care! Tina

12:04 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home