Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I Never Can See Dubai

Following a successful hand-over with my replacement, Claudia, it was time for a few days of vacation. I had a choice between heading inland to the hills for some culture and hiking or sitting at a beachside hotel and relax. After a self-assessment of my energy levels I decided that a couple days of being bored by the ocean would be a good opportunity to recharge for what would be a busy time ahead. I took the train south and stayed in a nice spot near the town of Galle.

Not being much of a beach person and with no TV to distract me I spent many hours sitting on my room’s balcony either reading a book, listening to my IPOD or just watching the waves. I contemplated whether or not I could ever again enjoy just a normal holiday. I also reflected on some of the things that I would miss about Sri Lanka:
• My 4-minute walk to work from the house;
• Not wearing socks for a month;
• The manner in which when responding with a yes Sri Lankans don’t nod, but instead subtlety bob their head side-to-side;
• The adrenaline rush of putting your life in the hands of a kamikaze tuk-tuk driver;
• Being able to leave my clothes of the floor of my room and later magically find them washed and ironed. Thank you Shanti;
• Swimming at the Otter Club;
• Working with capable and cheerful national staff;
• Drinks at the Galle Face Hotel;

I returned to Colombo by express train on Wednesday morning. I then had a busy day of shopping for gifts (I have a high expectations to meet from two 7 year-old Katie Anns, just to name a few), one last swim at the Otter Club, farewells at the office, and sunset drinks and dinner at the Galle Face Hotel with Ard, Claudia and Pamela (a newly arrived doctor on her way to Vavuniya). It was the perfect last day for me in Sri Lanka except that it wasn’t.

My return journey was to start with a 2:55 am flight to Dubai. I said my farewells, took the taxi to the airport and got rid of the last of my rupees. However, at check-in I discovered that although my flight reservation was correct, it didn’t correspond with my base ticket. It had been a rare mistake made by the Amsterdam travel agency that works for MSF and by the time it had been corrected it was too late for me to board the flight. Instead, I was back at the house at 4:00 am, with Ard waiting to greet me. I’m re-booked on a flight for tonight which will take me direct to Frankfurt so I’ll never have to see Dubai.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

"...just a normal holiday"... that's funny.

4:53 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home