Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Roads of Nigeria

We were early into our ten-hour trip from Abuja to Sokoto, when our driver Ben informed us that we would soon be passing one of Nigeria’s most famous landmarks. “I wonder if it’s somewhere behind that big rock,” I thought to myself. As it turned-out, the point of interest was the big rock.

The following is what Wikpedia has to say about Zuma Rock:

“Zuma Rock is a large monolith located in Niger State, Nigeria. It is just north of Nigeria's capital Abuja, along the main road from Abuja to Kaduna, and is sometimes referred to as "Gateway to Abuja." It is most recognized because of the face of a person on the monolith, and is depicted on the 100 naira bill. It has been called Nigeria's answer to Australia's Uluru (Ayers Rock). Although only one-third as wide as Uluru, Zuma Rock is more than twice as high from its base, rising 725 meters above its surroundings.”

Now that I reflect on the past month I would have to say that Zuma Rock was my highlight from the hours spent driving around Nigeria. There have been many things I have enjoyed about Nigeria, but the scenery isn’t one of them. Perhaps the southern half of the country is greener and I’m sure the coast is lovely, but I can understand why tourism isn’t a major industry here or possibly an industry at all.


During my last long trip I contemplated potential slogans to lure tourists to the region, but could only come-up with the following:

  • Visit Nigeria – Our roads are better than Kenya’s and our camels are nicer than Egypt’s!
  • Nigeria – Where the goats and the donkeys play!
  • Nigeria – Home of Zuma Rock!


Not very inspiring, but at least I now understand why Zuma Rock is so famous in Nigeria.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Thanks for sharing your blog with me Ian, I enjoyed reading through it. And thanks also for your suggestions for mine. It looks like Zuma Rock stands tall and mighty above the Stawamus Chief...

12:09 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home