Thursday, January 24, 2013

Partying with the Ladies

Thipp's family's home is a bit too crowded and a bit too rough for us (no air conditioning) so we're staying nearby with family friends. It was early afternoon on the day of our arrival and I was given the option of joining Thipp and Alex for a bath, feeding and nap or to sit outside with some women drinking beer. As we drank what seemed to be an endless supply of Lao Beer I was reminded from my previous trip here that the ladies of Laos know how to party.

I know about three words in Laos and the ladies knew no English. This didn't seem to hurt our ability to communicate. We were sitting along a major roadway, which is Vienntiane's equivalent of Kingsway, so the music had to be cranked to compete with the street noise. If a song was too mellow I would voice my displeasure by yelling "no la la la!" If I liked a song I would give them a brief punk surfer dance. I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I liked quite a few of the songs.

A few hours later when Thipp and Alex resurfaced I was a happy mess. Thipp was then able to translate their questions, including if I knew any nice Canadian men looking for a Laotian wife. I respond that if Canadian men knew what was here that I would be able to fill a plane. To that one of them grumpily responded that that's what I said the last time I visited. Oops.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home