Thursday, December 17, 2015

A morning spent at ABC International Preschool

I didn't intend to spend the morning at Alex's school.  However, after the 20 metre walk and guiding him to the playground it was apparent that an early departure on my part would result in a significant emotional melt-down.  As the school welcomes parents to sit-in on the classes I decided to stay and observe.

There were about 40 kids at the school, split into an older and younger group.  Movement between the groups seemed to be somewhat fluid.  Alex is on the bubble and so far has spent time with both.  The ethnic mix appears to be about about an equal split between Thia, Caucasian, and halfers.

At some point in the day almost everyone cries. For some it's upon arrival and for others it is due to some playground or classroom fracas. For Alex on this day it occurred when it appeared he wasn't going to included with the older group.  His sad face brought back memories from every time a hockey team cut me.  The teachers quickly reacted him and included him with the older kids.

The older kids seemed more accepting of their incarceration, while the younger ones were more likely to check to see if the outer door was still locked.  One little boy hadn't even taken his shoes and backpack off, naively expecting a parental rescue to be imminent.

The classes were taught in both English and Thai.  Alex had the same dazed look that I had in French 10.  The teachers are kind, attentive and firm when they need to be.  I'm sure that it would be easier to herd cats.

The next morning I again walked Alex to school.  I stayed for a while with him in the playground and told him that I had to go, would see him at lunch, and to have a fun morning. His reaction was not a big surprise.  Thipp thinks that I shouldn't walk him to school anymore.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home