Thursday, May 05, 2016

Russian Lessons



Some of the first things you learn in Russian are the letters.  Some examples follow:
Π is P
P is R
Х is kh, like you are clearing your throat after a shot of vodka
Γ is g
Д is d
Ж is s like in pleasure
Л is L
Ф is f
Ю is you
Н is N
Ш is sh

As it has turned out, the letters are one of the easiest parts of learning Russian.

Want to say hello?  All you have to say is ЭДРАВСТВУЙ (pronounced z-drah-stvoo-hy).  A four syllable word that would probably score you 100 in a game of Scrabble.

ПОЖАЛУЙСТА (po-shal-oo-ysta) is Please.

And my favourite: Я HE  ПOHИМАЮ (ya ne po-nee-maf) is I don’t understand.

Yes, learning Russian is not easy.  Especially since the time I have spent writing the first part of this story is equal to the amount of non-class study time I’ve had in the past month.

Thipp and I are taking our languages classes together.  At first it was three times a week and then in an attempt to slow the pace I changed it to twice a week.  My attendance record hasn’t been great due to trips to Tajikistan and often being too busy with work.  Thipp has yet to miss a class.

In addition to a better attendance record, Thipp has the advantages of more free time to study (yes, I am well aware that being a homemaker is a full time job, even with a housecleaner visiting our apartment twice per week), as well as the reality that she just simply likes to talk more than I do.  After being away for a while I return to class to listen to Thipp merrily recite what sounds to be Russian Shakespeare.  Then it’s my turn to read a few sentences and I come to understand what it must be like to be dyslexic.

It has certainly brought back memories of past life experiences where others in a language class would seem to understand what was happening and I felt like I was in the wrong room.  Flashbacks of trying to learn French and Fortran come to mind.  As the instructor speaks I don't fully listen and wonder to myself whether I should just drop this “f”-ing course.  However, my instructor is understanding of my reasons for not doing my homework and also likely doesn’t want to lose an easy gig.  I leave the class determined to put more study time in, but long workdays and a little boy get in the way of good intentions.

When I lived in Kenya ten years ago I worked hard at learning Swahili (“Nina sema Kiswahili kidogo sana” – I speak a little Swahili; “Si lipa bei muzungo” – I won’t pay the white person’s price), so I know that with enough time and effort I have some capabilities.  However, my reality in Uzbekistan is that I won’t have the time.  Still, learning a little is better than nothing at all.  I may never be able to recite Russian Shakespeare, but hopefully one day I’ll be able to say that I speak a little Russian.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home