Sunday, July 31, 2005

And Now For The News

During my spare time at home, while swatting at mosquitoes, I’ll often listen to BBC World Service on the radio. There is a good mix of news and various other stories of interest. Canada even gets mentioned from time to time and over the past few months I have heard the following stories:

1) The Canadian government’s winning by one its non-confidence vote in parliament.
2) The legalization of gay marriage.
3) The NHL players association accepting the labour contract.
4) A small tunnel from B.C. to Washington State for smuggling cannabis was uncovered.
5) The court-case in Iran pertaining to the murder of the Canadian-Iranian journalist.
6) Results from the World Swimming Championships in Montreal
7) The news that the actor who played “Scotty” on Star Trek died. I didn’t know that he was Canadian and that his Scottish accent was a fake.

In the Kenyan newspapers the only thing I can recall relating to Canada was a photo of Jack Nicklaus, leading up to the British Open, taken while playing the Skins Game at Whistler.

All in all, it doesn’t sound like I’ve missed too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home