Tuesday, September 27, 2005

I'm going to Pakistan with Medecins Sans Frontieres

Just when I was starting to think that I was going to have to return early to the real world something really exciting has taken place. I'm going to Pakistan for one year to work as the financial controller for Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF - also known as Doctors Without Borders). The placement was first brought to my attention about two weeks prior to my leaving Kenya and was confirmed just a few days ago. I had been back in Canada for just two days and then learned that I would soon be leaving.

I will be based in Islamabad and will be part of the MSF Pakistan Coordination Management Team which also includes the Head of Mission, the Medical Coordinator and the Logistics Coordinator. I will spend some time in the field as MSF Pakistan has three ongoing projects which are located in Quetta, Shasho and Kashmir ( I don't know where they are, either). These projects provide care to either those living in remote regions or to Afghani refugees. MSF staffing in Pakistan consists of approximately 10 expatriates and 115 nationals.

As financial controller my responsibilities will include:
- the financial reporting, forecasting and budgeting functions and cash-flow management;
- financial and salary administration and office management;
- human resources administration for expatriate and national staff;
- representing MSF in dealings with other NGO's, agencies, and authorities.

I will fly to Europe on October 13th for two weeks of training in Germany and Holland. I will then leave for Pakistan and should be there by the beginning of November. The English cricket team will be on tour in Pakistan so I have that to look forward to. I will be in Canada for just over three weeks which basically leaves me with just enough time to see some friends, do my laundry, and select my hockey pool team.

1 Comments:

Blogger Heidi en Tom in Kenia said...

He Ian,
Sounds great, ofcourse we knew already that your Pakistan trip was in the picture! Sounds very exciting, and we keep on following you. Hope you can rest a bit before your next adventure starts.

No skiing season for you this year.

See you in the future!

good luck,

Tom&Heidi

6:54 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home