Monday, November 28, 2005

Hockey Morning In Pakistan

Although working on a Sunday morning is usually kind of a drag, I have found one silver lining. When I arrive at my desk at 8 o’clock on Sunday morning, back in Vancouver it’s 7 in the evening on Saturday night. Every well-bred Canadian male knows that for much of the year this is the time for the second game of Hockey Night in Canada. Thanks to the internet its also time for me to enjoy hockey in Pakistan.

By tuning into NHL.com – Radio, I can listen live to any game that I want. I can even choose between listening to the broadcast crew from any city playing. It is a bit surreal to be at my desk with a hot coffee on a Sunday morning listening to the Canucks versus Phoenix game. So far I’m only listening on weekends before any office-mates arrive. However, I may not be so conservative come playoff time.

On a different topic, I’ve been asked by some of my blog viewers (the few of you who know how to write) what it’s like to live in Pakistan. So far I have very little idea. Islamabad is a modern and relatively wealthy city and is certainly not representative of the country. The joke is that the great thing about Islamabad is that its any 15 km from Pakistan. Last week, however, I made an over-night trip west to our office in Peshawar, which is situated in the North West Frontier Province. Peshawar is just 50 km east of the Afghanistan border and Khyber Pass is situated in-between. It was dusty, loud and chaotic and I can’t wait to go back for a longer visit.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home