Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Dutch Treat

It almost feels like my assignment with Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) has been one big European vacation. Following an enjoyable 9 days in Germany I’m spending an even more enjoyable 10 days in Amsterdam. I had no idea that relief work would be like this.

I don’t know where the name Amsterdam comes from, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it translates into “Land of the Super Models.” The more time I spend here the more I like it. The canals, architecture, narrow cobblestone roads, and ubiquitous bicycles make it a great city to wander around and get lost in. Taking advantage of the unseasonably warm weather I rented a 3-speed bike last Sunday and rode north to the small towns of Edam and Volendam. The Netherlands has to be the most bicycle friendly country in the world.

Its been nice spending time at the MSF Holland office, getting to know more about the organization and some of the people who work here. It’s a fairly laid-back place with many of the staff dressed as though they’re ready to go out to the field on a minute’s notice. All of the people I’ve met with have been pleasant, helpful and professional. Especially those two charming fellows from the Communications department who have taken a special interest (or is it concern?) in what I’m writing in my Blog (welcome to my site Bart and Diderik).

Although I’ve enjoyed my time in Europe, I’m anxious to finally get to my placement. I still find it hard to believe that I’ll be leaving tomorrow for Islamabad, Pakistan. I’ve heard quite a few good things about where I’ll be going and the people I’ll be working with, but I know that for the first time in a long time I’m going to be very busy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Aubertin said...

Hoi Ian !

I am impatient to hear about your first impressions in Islamabad ... Looking forward to read you !

Doei !

7:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home