Monday, October 24, 2005

Training in Germany

I blame it on Led Zeppelin. I was at the wrap-up party for the MSF preparation course in Bonn, Germany. Things were slightly lagging. It was hard to believe that a bunch of medical, logistical and financial people could stay in such control. I sensed that a momentum builder was needed and this Zeppelin song from the 70's set me into action (strange, because I never liked them that much). I dashed across the dance floor and landed a seemingly perfect chest slide. My volleyball coach friend Doug would have been proud. A few things became immediately apparent. My colleagues were suitably amused (or was that bemused), I was able to confirm that the floor was much dustier than it looked, and I had temporarily damaged my rib cage.

I spent nine days and nights at Bonn's youth hostel and had a number of interesting and eventful experiences, and, of course, observations:
- There were 34 people attending the course from about 13 different countries. The split was about two-thirds medical (doctors, nurses, psychologists) and one-third support (finance and logistics). It was about 60% female and a fairly young demographic. I was definitely in the oldest quartile.
- My hostel room slept four. Of course, only four would actually sleep if Rajesh from India was the last one to nod off. Talk about world class snoring! I know that I've had my moments of immitating an airport and all that I can say to my former room-mates is I'm really, really sorry.
- There were 2 Kenyans attending the course and they were quite pleased with my limited kiswahili.
- One evening we had an orienteering event in a nearby forest reserve which saw us hike for five hours around a forest trying to accomplish what turned out to be unachievable tasks. We didn't finish until 2:00 a.m. My main contribution to the group was carrying a fairly heavy gift-wrapped table-top which proved to have no purpose. This turned-out to be an exercise on teamwork, but the interpersonal conflict they were hoping to create didn't evolve because most of us were really enjoying hiking in a moon-lit forest at night.
- I met a young surgeon from England, named Steve, who is on his way to Sierra Leonne. Steve has cousins in Vancouver and it turned-out that I've visited their home, know his cousin Paul S. from my triathlon world, and went to his cousin's Karin's wedding several years ago.
- During a discussion about Cholera a German doctor stressed that before moving a body to the morgue to make certain that the person is really dead.
- Two Africans attending the course had both studied in London. One went on a scholarship and the other paid his own way. When asked what his father did for work so that he could afford to send him his reply was "he's a politician."
- There were four financial people attending the course and all were from North America. Apparently this is quite common for MSF.
- The neighboring forest reserve was a great place for running and I went out almost every day. This was my first regular exercise in over a year. It seemed that this course provided me with both an educational and physical workshop.
- I met Anne, a doctor from Scotland, who will be working at one of the field units in Scotland. It turns-out that our Head of Mission is also Scottish so Anne is already planning to include me in a Robbie Burns Day celebration. She said that she would look into getting tinned Haggis. I didn't know how to tell her that I'm not that Scottish.

The course itself was quite well done, relevant, and a lot more fun than expected. While we talked about a lot of health issues and other challenges we may face we didn't dwell on the negative aspects. I suspect that the reality is that there are some things that a course can't prepare you for.

I arrived in Amsterdam on Sunday, October 23rd for my Finance & Human Resources course and I will be here until Wednesday, November 2nd

1 Comments:

Blogger Alexandra Aubertin said...

Hi Ian,

I realized I gave yo uthe wrong email address: alexandra.aubertin@gmail.com is the right one ! See you soon in A´dam !

3:37 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home