Thursday, January 05, 2006

The Holiday Season

For me, being in a Muslim country during the holiday season isn’t that big of a deal. I don’t mind avoiding the stress of figuring out what other people want for Christmas or even what I want, for that matter. I do sort of miss the eating, drinking and being merry aspect, however.

My Christmas Day in Islamabad was pretty much a non-event. Several of my colleagues had left town and those of us remaining were neither organized nor enthusiastic enough to coordinate anything. I slept-in, read for a while and then went for my second run in two months (after about ten minutes it became more like a stagger). In the afternoon I went to the office (I wasn’t alone) and put in around five-hours. My Christmas dinner consisted of chips and yogurt. At least I didn’t have my traditional post-Christmas dinner stomachache from over-eating.

New Years was slightly more eventful. Along with several members of our national staff we went to the neighboring city of Rawalpindi to eat in this tented restaurant. The highlight was listening to the singing of Imtiaz, who is one of our drivers. Imtiaz used to perform professionally in a stage show and on the radio, singing both folk and classical (which sounds pretty much the same to my western ear). He gave-up show business to became a driver not because the money was better, but due to the fact that he had started a family and his wife didn’t like him coming home late at night. Imtiaz is no Mick Jagger.

Just when I thought I had gotten through the Christmas season untouched a special parcel arrived. MSF Canada had sent a package to each of its overseas Expats and my goodies included:
- a Hockey News magazine (so there really is a Santa Claus);
- a Maclean’s magazine and a novel;
- 2 CDs – Barenaked Ladies Greatest Hits and Franz Ferdinand (I don’t who he/they are either, but I will soon find out);
- various candies, cookies, soaps, a bottle opener and a mini-frisbee.

These items had been donated by about a dozen individuals and companies. In addition, there were about 20 Christmas cards with hand-written messages from people from across Canada sending words of greetings, encouragement and thanks. It was a very thoughtful and appreciated gesture and even managed to touch a non-Christmas type like myself.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home