Saturday, May 06, 2006

My Blog as a Learning Tool

The following note is further evidence that my blog-site has been accessed by people other than my parents. This is an excerpt from a recent email from my friend Ted, a teacher and hard-nosed right-winger, living in Houston, B.C.:

“In Geography 12 we study earthquakes, their causes, locations, effects on humans and the environment. While giving a lesson I was asked by a student about how people respond to such a disaster. Using a proxima projector I had your blog up on the screen in my classroom. We read how MSF responds to help people and checked out the photos, notably the recent one of the road damage and older pics of the helicopters and tent city. The students especially liked the photo of you with the Hockey News. One student in particular enjoyed the fact that you liked the Habs, as he did. Sadly, he did not know Guy Lafleur…I can't say if they are all signing up for accounting in college.”

Well, I must say that I’m flattered. As former American Vice President once said “What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is.” Hopefully, this will never happen to Ted’s students, even when he uses my blog-site as a learning tool.

Speaking of Dan Quayle, in searching for a memorable quote on the internet I couldn’t believe the selection I had. I will now post a few of his classics:

- “We don't want to go back to tomorrow, we want to go forward.”

- “[It's] time for the human race to enter the solar system.”

- “For NASA, space is still a high priority.”

- “Welcome to President Bush, Mrs. Bush, and my fellow astronauts.”

- “A low voter turnout is an indication of fewer people going to the polls.”

- “We have a firm commitment to NATO, we are a part of NATO. We have a firm commitment to Europe. We are a part of Europe.”

- “I believe we are on an irreversible trend toward more freedom and democracy -- but that could change."

- “Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here.”

- “I stand by all the misstatements that I've made."

- “The global importance of the Middle East is that it keeps the Near East and the Far East from encroaching on each other."

- “People are not homeless if they're sleeping in the streets of their own hometowns."

- “Republicans have been accused of abandoning the poor. It's the other way around. They never vote for us.”

“I love California, I practically grew up in Phoenix.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home