Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Cross Fit

I take a one-hour Cross Fit class at the gym three mornings per week.  I figured that it would push me harder than I would push myself, work some muscles that don't normally get worked (i.e. most of them), and get me mobile in time for the 9:00 am start.  I had no illusions that it would be easy and figured that in effect I was signing myself up for Cross Torture.  When I met my Thai/Dutch instructor, Eric, my only request to him was to "please, don't hurt me."

The class number ranges from 8-to-10 participants.  I'm often the only male and at least twenty years older than the rest.  Half of my classmates are Russians and the others are Thais or from other European countries.  I am the only native English speaker, but fortunately that is the language of instruction.  The class is held outside under cover and it doesn't even seem that hot until we start the warm-up.

Each of the exercises by themselves don't seem that difficult.  Squat with that little kettle bell...no problem...lift that dumbell with no weights...sure...do some push-ups...I remember those...and now do some sit-ups...hhm.  Although each drill on its own isn't too onerous, when combined together they quickly take their toll.

It didn't take me long to realize that no matter how long I attended these work-outs that I would never be able to do them all properly in the allotted time.  So I do what I can and then catch extra rest breaks while lying in my pool of perspiration.  There are times when I think that I'm a approaching a point of exhaustion where guys my age have heart attacks.  However, there are also times when I think I've turned the corner and once decided to show the ladies that I an extra gear of running speed.  This was when I pulled my hamstring.

I've been going to Cross Fit now for almost two months and know that it's helping.  I'm also doing cardio work-outs on the other days and I'm up to running one-hour on the treadmill with some tempo intervals included.  I almost feel fit enough to start triathlon training again.  However, for now my goals aren't so grand and I'll continue with my elusive quest of trying to complete the Cross Fit workout.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home