Sunday, July 31, 2005

What I'll Miss About Kisumu

I have lived in Kisumu for close to six months. As I prepare to depart for the last time I reflect on the things that I'll miss about the place:

- Walking to and from work and being greeted by several people along the way.
- Sunny, warm days. I can recall only a few days where I didn’t see the sun at some point.
- Riding and chatting with the boda boda drivers.
- Eating fresh fish from Lake Victoria.
- My small-talk with Douglas (the security guard at the house across the street from my home) He was always in good cheer and it was nice to know that he was watching out for me.
- Morning tea break at TICH. It was attended by all, staff and students.
- My twice weekly kiswahili lessons with Edith. I gave it a good try, although I still had a long way to go.
- My running route through the mlimani neighborhood (the wealthy part of town). It provided me with a few good hills plus nice glimpses of the lake. I won’t miss all of the funny looks I got.
- The group of young children living near my home who would often greet me at the end of the day, running from their yards to the street to shake my hand yelling big hellos. If I was returning from a run, after shaking hands they would run with me for a short stretch. A few of the older ones were really quick.
- Having lots of time to read and listen to music.
- Negotiating my way through cattle while walking on the side of road.
- All the really nice people I got to know at TICH.
- My electric fan.

As I reflect on this list I realize that while I’ve enjoyed my time here I’m not devastated about leaving. Kisumu was an interesting place to live and easy to adapt to, but it’s doubtful that I will ever return.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sapphire Eagle © said...

.. maybe ... just maybe... when you are far away in a more Western climate, culture... away from all this... maybe around the age of fifty-five... and with this faithful hound at your ankles, you rest your weary head and then feel this longing and miss this place... Hope you are still writing as interesting posts... it will great to read your thoughts even then!

9:29 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home