Monday, February 08, 2016

Thailand Luxeries

My stereotype for Thailand includes untouched nature, thatch-roofed restaurants, and chaotic open-air markets.  While some of these do exist there are also many modern conveniences.

As I try not to spend much time in shopping malls in Canada, you could imagine my horror when discovering that they also exist in Phuket.  Central Festival, appropriately located in the middle of Phuket Island, has all kinds of shopping conveniences.  We have been there several times over the past few months and I actually don't mind going, although it certaintly conflicts with my imagined Thai experience.

Another advanced activity for Thailand, for those who can afford it, is medical care.  Medical tourism  is big business for Thailand as foreigners come here for a variety of medical care.  I've recently had to use the Bangkok Hospital - Phuket for medical tests and inoculations required by MSF and Thipp has also had need to use their medical and dental care.  The care has been fast and excellent.  In addition, with wages being low the hospital is able to provide parking attendants to help you find an open spot, a shuttle bus to get you the 200 metres to the hospital entrance, and well-dressed hostesses to greet you at the door.  You feel like you're checking-in to a nice hotel.

So although all my stereotypes for Thailand have not proven to be valid, in many cases where there are exceptions it's for the better.  However, I still enjoy the more traditional Thai experiences and on that note it's time for me to wander down the road to my local thatched-roof restaurant.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home