Sunday, August 21, 2005

Departure from Kisumu

The terms of my agreement with TICH required me to give one-months notice. However, there was no way that I was going to last that long coming in day after day with little to do. I was able to get Reverend Obondi to agree that it was pointless for me to come-in and have TICH continue to pay me. Therefore, my last day was on July 29th.

I went for a final visit to the village of Ndiwa to see my Dutch VSO colleague Frank and packed-up my gear. Knowing that there was a chance of another VSO placement in Africa I didn't want to give too much stuff away (especially my electric fan) and I was able to store some things in Kisumu with TICH. However, I didn't leave much of value so if no new opportunity arises I've told the Reverend that TICH can have it. He is praying for me.

On August 4th I left Kisumu for what may be the final time. I took the 6:30 night train for Nairobi which departed promptly at 7:23. I spent 5 days in Nairobi doing a bunch of different things including: dealing with the VSO office in Nairobi on a variety of administrative issues and a potential new placement, visiting with friends, arranging travel insurance, eating well, and trying not to get mugged. Nairobi is a modern city with shopping malls, traffic jams and lots of people. It isn't a very nice place.

On August 9th my holidays truly began as I caught the shuttle bus for Arusha, Tanzania. From there my game plan is to hike-up Mount Kilimanjaro, maybe see some of the national parks and then hit the beaches of Zanzibar. After that who nows? I think it will be a good little adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home